Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 2..C'mon BIG ORKA!

I really struggled on who to pick for this because I am blessed to have friends that I have been close with for a long time and lucky enough to have shared certain memories with them that are unforgettable. The word unforgettable stuck out to me probably the most. Who have I shared the most memorable moments that I believe define  the word unforgettable, and as I began to think more and more about the topic, my choice became more and more clear in Luke Medley.

The first memory I have of us being friends was whenever we were on the Yankees together when we were 5. He lived right down the street from me then. He was a heavy hitter on the team, and I was as jealous as a 5 year old could be. Luke is the guy that I have no problem confiding in, and I trust the fact that, even though we are 400 miles apart, he would be there for me anytime that I needed him. I love him as a best friend should. Luke is literally the best guy that I know, and also comes from one of the best and tightest knit families I've ever had the privilege of being around. I can remember basketball in my driveway on the 7''5 goal. We called it the real mans height. We developed retarded dunks and trick shots, that required an "okay, bounce off the roof, across the rim, against the backboard, pass to Jacob, alley-oop and in." Unforgettable are moments like when Luke hit a 3 in city league basketball whenever we were in 7th grade and preceded to high step back down the court with his lip wrist hanging as he yelled, "He's awesome with a capital A, baby!" Dick Vitale style.

Luke was never the lover, growing up it was always me with the girl problems, but as two guys grow older, meet girls, and begin to care about those girls, it would make sense that it would leave less time for best friends to hangout. Right? Or is that just a myth to judge the basis on what real friendship is based upon? Because if the standard is true, Luke and I's friendship is one for the record books. My heart broke for him whenever he would call me and show up at my house in tears over the girl. A true friend will find comfort as they weep in the arms of their best friend. I can gladly say that tears have been shed from each us onto each others sleeves. He legitimately has a golden heart.

Unforgettable are the memories Luke and I have of outrageous and unexpected times. We traveled to Cabo San Lucas once. And that's as far as I'm gonna go with that one, on account that my mother reads this blog. We drove away from our senior prom together as one of our best friends screamed at us from the back seat questioning his own self-worth. Luke always had a way to get his point across, and in that situation it involved a fair amount yelling. He could've won a Harvard debate that night. A well deserved "C'MON BIG ORKA!" accompanied with a float down the Nial was always nice on a Friday night. In English, that translates to a float in the hot tub. He taught me how to be a Panther, along with how to stay true to a friend.

I love him and I miss him. He's my brother now and forever. He lives in Arkansas now and I'm proud of him. Without a doubt, the best man at my wedding.




No comments:

Post a Comment